The HI-RiSE team has been busy this past Spring presenting and attending local and national conferences. During these conferences we were able to see how teachers are engaging students in statistical thinking in classrooms from the middle school level to undergraduate courses. We also attended sessions on continuing research to help assist in-service and pre-service teachers gain the knowledge and tools they need to be successful statistics teachers. Teachers and researchers are working hard to develop students’ statistical understanding beyond the classroom. There is a big push to put technology into the hands of teachers and students to effectively teach statistics.
At these conferences our team was able to share continuing research we have done in statistics education. This research includes analyzing students use of CODAP as a technological tool, analyzing pre-service teachers work and self-efficacy as they engage in materials created for ESTEEM modules, and looking at how in-service teachers engage in MOOCs for statistics educators. The team also shared materials that teachers can use in the teaching of statistics as well as materials that can be used for math teacher educators who are responsible for preparing pre-service teachers to teach statistics. The following is a list of conferences the team presented at and attended this Spring.
- March 7 – 8, 2019: North Carolina Mathematical Association of Two Year Colleges (NCMATYC), Caldwell Community College, NC
- March 20, 2019: The 14th annual NC State University Graduate Student Research Symposium, Raleigh, NC
- April 1 – 3, 2019: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Research Conference,
San Diego, CA
- April 4 – 6, 2019: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Annual Conference, San Diego, CA
- April 24, 2019: The 28th annual NC State University Undergraduate Research and Creativity Spring Symposium, Raleigh, NC
- May 16 – 18, 2019: United States Conference on Teaching Statistics (USCOTS) Conference, Pennsylvania State University
- June 4 – 5, 2019: 2nd Annual Early College Summit, RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC
- National Consortium of Data Science
- RTI International’s Large District Mathematics Collaborative for NC